Dabs and Dribbles = A Culinary Goldmine
We’ve all had them, those tiny bits of leftovers that are too small for a recipe, but large enough that we don’t want to throw them away. Well now you don’t have to.
With a plastic ice cube tray you can freeze those little gems of flavor to use later on.
• Small amounts of chopped or minced onion can be frozen with water, then thawed and added to any dish.
• Ethnic sauces can be frozen and dropped into chili, salsa or marinades for a hint of exotic flavor.
• Unused bits of yoghurt are perfect when frozen and used while blending smoothies.
• When a recipe calls for only a few tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, squeeze and freeze the rest to use when you need a touch of tart.
• Cubes made from tea or coffees are prefect when cooling down a pot of caffeine. Better yet, drop a few tea cubes into a glass of lemonade to add a layer of flavor.
• Tomato paste in cube form is the perfect amount for a savory sauce.
• Pesto cubes speed up the prep time of pasta, crostini and other Italian delights.
• Pureed butternut squash can be stirred into soups, stews and sauces for added nutrition.
• Tomato juice can be used to add a bit of flavor to soups, sauces and stews.
From fruits to herbs to sauces and marinades these frozen nuggets have a big impact on flavor. So the next time you find yourself with a dab of this and a dribble of that, don’t forego it, freeze it.